Last week I talked a little about Graphicly, Aquafadas, and ComiXology’s digital comics initiatives. Now I want to talk to creators who have actually utilized these services, try to understand their technical capabilities and benefits, their strengths and weaknesses, and their overall appeal.
I think the first question I need to ask is: Why do you make comics?
The answer to that question may provide insight into all the rest. So what are some other questions that I can ask?
Digital Comics Creators
1. Which digital comics service(s) do you use? Why?
2. What appeals to you about the digital comic medium?
3. Do you see digital comics as a career or a hobby?
4. In your opinion, does the digital comics medium offer financial security? Might it in the future?
5. Why not web comics? And if you have done web comics, what is the difference between the two?
6. What do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of digital comics?
7. Have you ever published print comics? If so why did you make a move to digital?
For Web Creators
1. Why web comics?
2. Specifically, what are some of the strengths of putting your comics up on the web? What don’t you like?
3. Have you ever thought about publishing any of your work through a digital service?
4. Because web comics are essentially “free” for your audience, what are the ways you collect revenue, if at all? Does that matter at all?
Are you a digital creator? Have an opinion on any of these issues? Used Graphicly, Aquafadas, or have your own web comic? I’d love to hear from you. Shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll talk comics!